Adsense

Friday, October 14, 2011

Qwest Actiontec Q1000 in RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging Mode

I recently moved and was sad to find that my only internet option was Qwest DSL. I don’t exactly LOVE Comcast high speed internet, but it has always worked well for me in the past and I have had trouble with Qwest in the past. With Comcast, I have always used a cable modem to connect to Comcast and a separate wireless router to handle my home networking. With Qwest DSL, I had to purchase an Actiontec Q1000 Modem/Router which includes a four Gigabit switch and wireless b/g/n connection. Unfortunately, I had just purchased a Linksys E3000 router a couple of months before and would much rather use it.

I quickly found that I could setup my Actiontec Q1000 and then daisy chain my Linksys E3000 by connecting it directly to the Actiontec. I was then able to use the wireless of the Linksys E3000 rather than the Actiontec which seemed to work much better with much greater range. This seemed to work OK for most of my needs and I used it for about a month without a problem.

In this configuration the Actiontec would connect to Qwest and would assign IP addresses dynamically on the 192.168.0.1 network. My Linksys was setup to dynamically assign IP addresses on the 10.0.0.1 network. The Actiontec would assign the Linksys an IP address and the Linksys would then handle the needs of my actual LAN and all of my basic needs were met.

The problem came when I wanted to expose my server to the outside world and ran into a bit of a networking mess trying to expose by setting it’s IP address as the DMZ(There is probably a way to do it with this configuration, but I’m by no means a networking guru.) Fortunately, I found out how to put the Actiontec Q1000 into transparent bridge mode which effectively turned it into the modem I have been used to using with Comcast.

How to Do It?

 (note: You will need your PPPoE username and password from Qwest to do this. I had to call them to get it.)
  1. On the Actiontec Q1000
    1. Log into your modem by entering the modem’s IP into the address bar of your browser (in my case, 192.168.0.1)
    2. Click on Advanced Setup
    3. Click on Wan IP
    4. Select RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging
    5. Save the Settings

  1. On the other router (Linksys E3000 in my case)
    1. Log into your modem by entering the modem’s IP into the address bar of your browser (in my case, 10.0.0.1)
    2. Click on Setup
    3. Click on Basic Setup
    4. Change the Internet Connection Type to PPPoE
    5. Enter your PPPoE Username and Password acquired from Qwest
    6. Save the Settings

That’s all there is to it. Your Actiontec Q1000 should act as a Transparent Bridge and will assign your other router the external IP address and DNS information. With this setup I was able to correctly assign my server machine’s IP address as the DMZ. After updating my DynDNS, Viola, my server was exposed to the outside world.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks man, this helped a lot.

Paul Fox said...

Happy it helped. I've been running with this setup smoothly for over a year now.

MichaelV said...

I found this to be the most useful thing I could find on the net but I have a couple problems. I have the Actiontec Q1000 with Qwest (Century Link I think that's what it's called now). I purchased a Cisco Linksys E4200 router and have heard great things about it and want to use it. I see the your first screen and settings are very similar to mine (with the 192.168.0.1 address). However, I do not know the address to connect and see the settings of the Linksys router I want to hook up. The 10.0.0.1 will not take me anywhere. Would you happen to have any advice on how to do this? Thanks much.
Michael Vialpando

Paul Fox said...

Each router manufacturer has a default ip address and username/password for each of their routers. It looks like the Cisco Linksys E4200's default setting are for 192.168.1.1 with a username and password of admin/admin.

If your router is in its default state, you should be able to connect to it by going to http://192.168.1.1 and logging in with admin/admin. If this doesn't work, the ip address or admin credentials might have been changed. You should be able to reset the router to its default settings. You can usually do this by pressing a small recessed button on the router.

Try the following for the E4200.
1. Turn the router upside down.
2. On the bottom, press and hold the reset button for 5-10 seconds.

Then try to connect with the default information above.

Hope this helps!

Mike Farmer said...

Thanks so much. I had given up on getting port forwarding to work on the Q1000. Now I can use my ddw-rt router to do it and it works great! Very much appreciated.

Unknown said...

With this disable the wireless that the Q1000 usually puts out?

Paul Fox said...

I do believe that setting up the Q1000 as a Transparent bridge will make it useless as a wireless router.

thewrightstuff said...

Paul, you are the man! Thank you so much. I've spent several hours trying to figure this out after connecting my brand new ASUS RT-N65U. I'm glad I finally found your post. Only thing that was different is mine just said "Transparent Bridge" - there wasn't an RFC1483 preceding it. Hey now my original 192.168.0.1 DSL modem address is now unresponsive. Is that what happened with yours?

Paul Fox said...

I'm pretty sure there have been firmware upgrades that make some screens look/read a bit differently than when I wrote this. I'm glad you were able to get it up and running.

Yes. After getting this setup, your original DSL router doesn't work the same way and is just acting as a bridge. You can always reset the modem to get back into it, but it can be a pain to lose all your settings.

thewrightstuff said...

Ah that makes sense. Possible I have a different hardware version anyways. I remember stumbling across RFC1483 on another blog and not knowing what it about. You did us all a great service sharing that. Question is - how many people have had no clue and given up not able to find blogs like this? I spent almost a whole day tweaking my ASUS RT-N65U Dual-band Wireless-N Multimedia & Gaming Router/USB 3.0 sharing device and most of the issues that were so frustrating were either not in the DSL modem manual or the router manual. Good thing people like us can research and figure things out! Thanks again.

Paul Fox said...

I'm glad my post was helpful! It feels good to give back in some small way for all the posts that have helped me over the years. Good luck!

Erik Summer said...

Thank you for your post Paul. I'm setting up an IP camera for need to set up portforwarding on my Actiontec q1000. I tried the "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging" and it disabled my wireless internet. I had my Loftec 2200 working great with Cox but after switching to CenturyLink I've spent hours trying to get it to work. Do you know any default setting on my router that's not allowing portforwarding to work properly?

Unknown said...

Thanks Brother! You saved me countless additional hours of banging my head against a wall trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Worked perfectly, thanks again!

Paul Fox said...

I'm happy it helped!

Coach Corey said...

Can I use the Q1000 just as a bridge from the Modem router I have my signal coming in to the house? I am looking to extend my signal in my house and want to place my Q1000 upstairs to carry the signal to the rooms there.

Paul Fox said...

Good question. You can use a standard wireless router to do what you're asking, but I'm not sure if the modem functionality in the Q1000 would get in the way. You wouldn't want to run it in bridge mode, but would try to just set it up as a wireless router.

Try searching Google for "using a wireless router as an access point" or something similar and you'll find a lot of guides to doing this.

Coach Corey said...

Ill review, Thanks

Unknown said...

Thanks, was trying to setup two dsl lines into a load balancing router and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Thanks to your write up now I have 37.9 mbps down and 1.7 mbps up instead of the 17 down and .89 up. :)

Unknown said...

Hello, Just ordered comcast internet service and need to buy router. Can I just purchase one of the approved comcast modems without wifi and hook that up to my Q1000 router to get wifi? Thanks for the help!

Paul Fox said...

You should actually be able to hook almost any wireless router/access point into any comcast modem to add wifi access. The Q1000 is actually a CenturyLink modem, so you probably wouldn't want to go with that model unless you already have one lying around.

Search Google for "How To Connect A Cable Modem To A Wireless Router." You should find some good walk-throughs for doing it.

Good Luck!

Wine in the Water said...

Quite an old post, but do you happen to know which version of the firmware on the Q1000 you were using? Mine has latest (.7 as of now and probably for good) and it won't save the transparent bridge setting. I hit save. It says please wait. No matter how long I wait, it just doesn't save the setting. If I go back to the modem's IP address, all the settings are exactly what they were.