Adsense

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset Review

Product: Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (Black)
Where I got It: Amazon.com

I wasn’t exactly in the market for a new set of headphones, but after several of my co-workers purchased these over the span of a few weeks, I figured I had to take a closer look. I’ve always liked the idea of having a wireless headset but have always been afraid of performance and connectivity issues. After purchasing and using the Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereos Headset for about a month now, I couldn’t be happier with them.



I bought this headset to replace my wired ear buds that I wear each and every day at work. My ear buds sounded great, but being tethered to a laptop all day made it really easy to snag the wire on something ripping out your ear buds in the process. With a wireless headset you don’t have to worry about that pesky wire and can bring your tunes with you  on your many trips to the local whiteboard, office water cooler or printer throughout the day (I can make it about 40-50 feet through the office for a caffeine refill without losing connection.)

The Motorola S305’s are very light weight which makes them pleasant to wear all day long. They are comfortable and plenty loud. More importantly, I have had no issues with connectivity or performance with these so far. Even with several other pairs of these headphones and many other Bluetooth/Wifi devices attached to my laptop and elsewhere in the office, I’ve had no issues.

Another great use of this headset has been to replace my iPod Nano/armband combo that I have been using for working out for the past few years. I purchased an iPhone about a year ago and have never use it for working out for fear damaging it. Now I can keep my iPhone in a safe place while working without wires or armbands getting in the way or restricting my range of motion. It’s also a great way to stream slacker or Pandora from my iPhone while I workout instead of just using my MP3s.

I am definitely not an audiophile, but the sound on these headphones is definitely more than adequate. They are plenty loud and don’t sound flat at all. They have performed well in every situation I have used them in. The bass and treble are adequate and sound great even during vigorous workouts. Having built-in controls on the headset to interact with your music player is a definite bonus. It’s nice to be able to adjust volume, play/pause and skip forward and back without having to interact directly with my music player (assuming the player supports it.)


The only negative impression I had at first was how flimsy/cheap they felt right out of the box. I was really worried to shove them into my backpack with the rest of my stuff and was extra careful while pulling them out for a while. After getting used to them, I have realized that they aren’t quit and fragile as they feel and it hasn’t been an issue. If you are rough on your electronics, you might want to avoid these headphones.
Another small issue is that I’ve only been able to get 5-7 hours of use out of a full charge. I would have ideally liked 8+ hours plus to get through a full work-day without having to recharge them, but that would probably be asking too much from a Bluetooth device. At least they charge somewhat quickly.

Pro’s
  • Light Weight and Comfortable
  • Build-In Volume, Play/Pause, Forward/Back Controls
  • Plenty Loud
  • Good Sound Quality
  • Adequate Treble and Bass
  • Price isn’t Prohibitive
  • Good Range
  • Works with iPhone/iPod
  • Includes a Mic for Taking Calls
Con’s
  • Feel a Bit Flimsy
  • < 8 Hour on a Full Charge
  • Worried about their durability if I Continue to use Them for Workouts.
Runners Up

No comments: