Adsense

Friday, October 14, 2011

How to Enable/Disabled Recording Devices in Windows 7/Vista

I had some strange sounds coming over my speakers and thought it might be one of my recording devices (my built in mic, etc) acting up. To troubleshoot this I brought up the Sound window, clicked on the Recording Tab and right-clicked on each of my recording devices to disable them.

It turns out my problem was caused by something else and was easily fixed, but now I have a new issue. How to I enable my recording devices. If you check the Recording Tab in the Sound window, there are no devices listed. Maybe I can enable them directly from the Device Manager. Nope, nothing listed there either...

The solution is fairly simple, but seems to be completely non-standard for windows. Go back to the Recording Tab in the Sound window and right-click in the now blank tab. You should get a context menu that has two options (Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.) Click on Show Disabled Devices and you should now be able to see and enable your devices.

Not a huge issue, but fairly annoying since it is done differently than most other places in Windows (i.e. The network device screen. Disabled devices are still visible but are disabled...)

27 comments:

Venkateshwar said...

Thank you very much...

Venkateshwar said...

Hey i'm also hearing some stange sounds.. how to disable it?

Paul Fox said...

You might want to check and make sure that you don't have a mic input that is turned on and recording. Any line-in could produce feedback if its turned on. Other than that, I can't think of anything that could cause strange sounds.

Unknown said...

Thanks. It worked. I would have never thought of that.

Y e z i said...

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks man!!!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Anonymous said...

You just saved me! Thankyou very much.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much! So simple solution, but as you said - it is comletely unusual for Windows OS. You saved me a lot of time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks you

Anonymous said...

Great, You saved me lot of time and hassle

Unknown said...

Thx a bunch !

Anonymous said...

Thanks, solved my problem. I had been looking in forums and all over for a solution.

Dan Cutchen said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Had the same issue and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Many thanks for the solution.

Vicky said...

Saved the day for me :D

Anonymous said...

thank u.....

Anonymous said...

BIG THANKS! Almost had to reinstall Windows -.-

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! Almost had to re-install Windows too haha!

Unknown said...

Worked great, many thanks!

Anonymous said...

cool info. Much appreciate it!!!

Unknown said...

just saved my ass during a meeting. Thanks so much.

Paul Fox said...

Glad it helped! Especially in a meeting.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for this article. Really helpful for me!

Unknown said...

Paul Fox to the rescue! Thank you so much for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Buddy! I hear the sounds only when I have earphones on.