Adsense

Thursday, September 03, 2009

“A World Wide Web browser, such as Windows Internet Explorer, is required to use this feature” in Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer

In Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer when I Check In a file to my website and choose to Publish a Major Version.

Save Dialog

SharePoint Designer shows the following Dialog.

Approval Status dialog

This document requires content approval. Do you want to view or modify its approval status?

When I click Yes, I get the following error dialog.

Error Dialog

A world Wide Web browser, such as Windows Internet Explorer, is required to use this feature.

My first instinct was to make Internet Explorer my default browser *shudder*. I did this by opening Internet Explorer, clicking on Tools and selecting Internet Option. I then clicked the Programs tab and clicked on Make Default. Unfortunately, it didn’t make this silly error go away.

A little more digging into the issue presented something interesting. By bringing up Default Programs (Press your Windows Key and enter Default Programs into the search box) and then clicking on Set your default programs, you can see settings for Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer web browsers.

By selecting and application on the left, you can set it to be the default program by clicking Set this program as default (clicking this for Internet Explorer didn’t work either, btw) or you can choose some specific defaults for the selected application by clicking on Choose defaults for this program. The latter is basically managing the extensions and protocols associated with the program.

The list of default settings for my web browser are displayed in the 3 images below.

Chrome Default Settings Chrome Associations

FireFox default settings

Firefox Associations

IE Default Settings

Internet Explorer 8 Associations

Looking at the differences between the associated extensions, Internet Explorer doesn’t have entries for .shtml, .xht, or .xhtml by default while both Firefox and Chrome do. Thought I’d try to manually associate these three extensions with Internet Explorer to see if it fixed the issue, thinking that one of these extensions was being routed to Firefox or Chrome even with Internet Explorer set to be the default browser. You can do this by going back to Default Programs and clicking on Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Unfortunately, the error wasn’t affected by this change.

To get rid of this error, I actually had to uninstall Firefox and Chrome. I was able to re-install Firefox without checking the Make my default browser checkbox and the error was still gone, but any installation of Chrome would cause the error to come back.

It looks like the only fix for this is to remove Firefox and Chrome if they are installed. If anyone else knows of a valid work-around that allows you to keep Chrome installed, please let me know.

Thanks.

9 comments:

aalgrou said...

I had the same problem, I unstalled Google chrome,
now I don't get that warning, but sharepoint designer can't open the approval site
did u face the same problem, and how did u solve it?

Paul Fox said...

After getting rid of the error, I had no problems accessing the approval site in IE8. It sounds like you definitely have another problem and unfortunately I'm not sure what it could be. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this! You're the best. Saved me some time.

Beats Man said...

i still use frontpage to this day

well for frontpage,sharepoint designer

once you uninstall chrome and firefox,once you open up in internet explorer, just copy the link

you can then close explorer, then reinstall chrome/firefox, and past the link in there, and it'll work

it'll also work without frontpage or sharepoint being open, as this feature works on the web independent of actual local based computer software

Beats Man said...

at that point, u can just bookmark the link in your browsers to get to the administations sections(like permissions etc). no need to uninstall browsers anymore

Paul Fox said...

Thanks for the tips Beats Man. I definitely remember this being one of my least favorite quirks when working with Sharepoint!

Jesse and Begoña said...

FIX!
Thanks for blogging what you tried! This forum thread helped me fix it: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/d534eff0-92c3-42b2-bdb6-cb631c03ec61

If you replace HKCU\Software\Classes\ htm, html, shtml and xhtml entries key values with "htmlfile" (instead of "ChromeHTML" or "FireFoxHTML"), it works. Setting the defaults as you tried, doesn't modify these registry keys, but I'm guessing changing the installations did. Perhaps you can shed some more light on why this works and whether it's a safe fix.

albertinix said...

Thanks Jesse and Begoña! Your fix worked!

Unknown said...

It works for me!!