Adsense

Monday, September 07, 2009

Directory "X" associated with feature 'XXX’ in the solution is used by feature 'XXX' installed in the farm. All features must have unique directories

I copy and pasted a feature/module in my VWeWSS solution and updated the module.xml file. Unfortunately, I missed an edit in the file and caused  a problem. After fixing my module.xml file, I got the following error message in visual studio.

Directory "X" associated with feature ‘GUID1’ in the solution is used by feature ‘GUID2’ installed in the farm. All features must have unique directories to avoid overwriting files.”

This seemed like a straight forward error, but I had a bit of trouble tracking down what exactly to do to be able to use the Deploy command again. I was able to fix the error eventually by retracting my solution. You can retract a solution by performing the following step.

  1. Go to Central Administration
  2. Click on Operations
  3. Click on Solution Management under Global Configuration
  4. Click on the name of the problem solution
  5. Click on Retract Solution
  6. Choose Now for Rectract When?
  7. Click OK
  8. Wait for the retraction to complete and then try to deploy again from VWeWSS

Hope this can save someone a bit of time.

2 comments:

Justin Wilson said...

I got some training DVD from the Dot-Net code camp for Sharepoint. (I think it's from Solution Streams). I don't think I'll be doing anything with Sharepoint any time soon. If you'd like it it's yours. Don't know if it'd have anything you haven't already done with SP..

Paul Fox said...

It might have some stuff I haven't learned. SharePoint is pretty big. Plus, it would be a good excuse for us to meet up for some hot-wings!