Adsense

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

How to Enable/Disabled Recording Devices in Windows Vista

I had some strange sounds coming over my speakers and thought it might be one of my recording devices (my built in mic, etc) acting up. To troubleshoot this I brought up the Sound window, clicked on the Recording Tab and right-clicked on each of my recording devices to disable them. It turns out my problem was caused by something else and was easily fixed, but now I have a new issue. How to I enable my recording devices. If you check the Recording Tab in the Sound window, there are no devices listed. Maybe I can enable them directly from the Device Manager. Nope, nothing listed there either...

The solution is fairly simple, but seems to be completely non-standard for windows. Go back to the Recording Tab in the Sound window and right-click in the now blank tab. You should get a context menu that has two options (Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.) Click on Show Disabled Devices and you should now be able to see and enable your devices.

Not a huge issue, but fairly annoying since it is done differently than most other places in Windows (i.e. The network device screen. Disabled devices are still visible but are disabled...)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that - thought I'd managed to delete my laptop's built-in microphone! - now all I have to do is figure out why my external mic isn't working....

Robert said...

muchas gracias, en verdad si estaba cometiendo una acción de primaria. como si usara windows xp.

thx a lot!

Sparsha said...

thanks a lot could enable my devices still the comp says problem with recording device and im not getting the audio..

SKK said...

After half-an-hour of breaking my head on Add Hardware and Device Manager, I was a right click away!

Thanks.

SKK said...

"It turns out my problem was caused by something else and was easily fixed"

Can you please share what the problem was? I disabled the mic for the exact same reasons. There seems to be some relation to the iGoogle home page. I thought it must be gtalk. However, disabling the mic didn't help. Thanks again.

Paul Fox said...

The actual problem with my mic was a Sound-Card driver issue. After installing the correct/updated driver for my sound-card, my mic worked correctly.

o said...

Thanks! After using Linux for over a year, I came back to Windows for a simple task, only to be presented with many problems. Thanks for helping me sort one of them out!

Anonymous said...

Great, cheers! I was in a real panic cos I stupidly disabled my speakers 'n' my mum was gonna kill me if i didn't get it sorted out! Cheers again.

Kristen Bruce said...

Thank you thank you, well said, and super helpful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Exactly what I was looking for. Much thanks!

Anonymous said...

this helped i was trying to record the sound from by speakers with the built in mic but i got surrounding chatter not the audio from my computer so i accidentily disabled it i was using a program that records screen activity so i got a great visual with the wrong sound can anyone help????

Babak said...

Thanx a lot, it was a golden right click :)

mr.brat said...

thanx a ton sir

Anonymous said...

many thanks... mucho gracias...