Adsense

Monday, November 16, 2009

Visual Studio – Disable the Attach Security Warning

After installing Windows 7 I started to encounter a new popup when trying to debug the web application that I am currently working with.

Warning

This extra step is fairly annoying when you are debugging frequently. I heard rumor about a Registry Setting that could be updated or changed to get rid of this but could never track down the exact key or value. Luckily, there is a much simpler solution to getting rid of this error.

Navigate to: Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Local Security Policy->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment

Setting

Double click on Debug Programs and you’ll see the following screen where you can add your user. By adding your user, you will be a member of the debug programs group and this annoying error should disappear.

Setting2

6 comments:

Justin Wilson said...

Nice, that was pissing me off as well, but not enough to go hunting. I'm going to hate the day I have to re-install and have to apply all of the numerous hacks just so I'm not clicking 100 different things just so I can work.

Nice Info! :)

Paul Fox said...

Yeah. I've been meaning to look into it for weeks, but just started to debug heavily for the 1st time. Figured it was time to go. Glad it helped.

Mike Vanderkley said...

thank you very much!

Ram said...

Still, i am getting the same security warning. is there any other thing needs to be done.

Paul Fox said...

I didn't have to do anything else to get this to work in my environment. Adding myself to the Debug group was enough to solve the problem. Sorry i can't be of more help.

Microsoft said...

I hope the person that invented this annoyance in Microsoft dies a horrible death