Adsense

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

'HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable' message in IIS7 – Application Pools

One of my IIS7 virtual directories wigged out today and started to give me the following error screen.
Error Screen
Service Unavailable – HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
I found a post from Rich Strahl that pointed me in the right direction. When I brought up my Internet Information Services Manager and clicked on Application Pools, my DefaultAppPool was stopped.
app pools
Unfortunately, my application pools were already set to auto-start and restarting the application pool didn’t solve my problem. As soon as I tried to bring up my website, the application pool would immediately stop again and give me the same error screen. After spending the next 10 minutes or so restarting Windows 7 and starting and re-staring my application pools to no avail, I decided to re-install my IIS7 and Windows Process Activation Service features.
After re-installing these windows features, everything was back in order. Unfortunately, I did have to add ALL of my virtual directories again, but I expected as much. You can re-install these features from the Programs and Features screen by clicking on Turn Windows features on or off.
Programs and Features
On the Windows Features screen, you can uninstall any feature by removing the check next to it and then clicking OK. You can then return to this screen after restarting windows to reinstall them.
Windows Features Windows Features 2
Hope this helps someone. If anyone knows how to correct this without reinstalling the features, please comment!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I have this same error and I did exactly what you did and it still doesn't work. I can't find anything on the internet that points me to the right directionm what fo you think could it be?

Paul Fox said...

If uninstalling and reinstalling IIS7 and Windows Process Activation Service didn't fix the problem for you, I'm not sure what else could be causing it.

It might be something specific to the web application or virtual directory that you have running on the application pool. You might want to create a new application pool to test with to rule out issues with just the Default pool.

Sorry, I wish I could be of more help.

Sjoerd van Buiten said...

Just had the same problem with IIS 7.5 on Windows 7.

The DefaultAppPool was stopped and when I started it again it still didn't work.

Looks like the DefaultAppPool is damaged somehow. I created a new new AppPool based on the settings of the DefaultAppPool, selected this AppPool in the Default Web Site basic settings and everything is up and running again.

It is not a solution in my opinion, but it is at least a good work arround.

Cheers,
Sjoerd

SUSHIL GURJAR said...

hi man,
i had try this formula many times,
with this trick HTTP error 503. stopeded for some time but again same problem after some time.

this is not acqurate solution.


Sushil Gujjar

Anonymous said...

STOPEDED for some time only? This is definitely not the ACQURATE solution

Anonymous said...

After starting Default Application pool it worked fine for me :)

Thanks for the help

Unknown said...

When trying to install a web site on my test machine (IIS Server) I got Error 503 Service Unavailable, after a long discussion with my seniors and searching on the Internet I found the solution to this problem. Thanks for sharing with us. Following links also helped me to complete my task.

http://www.mindstick.com/Articles/c7eb99f0-5876-43ad-9ece-f8f633ebdb74/?Solving%20IIS%207%20Error%20503%20Service%20Unavailable

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/acbe683b-dd3b-4b6f-8b28-d020ed02edfa/http-error-503-the-service-is-unavailable-with-iis-7