Friday, October 14, 2011

How to Enable/Disabled Recording Devices in Windows 7/Vista

I had some strange sounds coming over my speakers and thought it might be one of my recording devices (my built in mic, etc) acting up. To troubleshoot this I brought up the Sound window, clicked on the Recording Tab and right-clicked on each of my recording devices to disable them.

It turns out my problem was caused by something else and was easily fixed, but now I have a new issue. How to I enable my recording devices. If you check the Recording Tab in the Sound window, there are no devices listed. Maybe I can enable them directly from the Device Manager. Nope, nothing listed there either...

The solution is fairly simple, but seems to be completely non-standard for windows. Go back to the Recording Tab in the Sound window and right-click in the now blank tab. You should get a context menu that has two options (Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.) Click on Show Disabled Devices and you should now be able to see and enable your devices.

Not a huge issue, but fairly annoying since it is done differently than most other places in Windows (i.e. The network device screen. Disabled devices are still visible but are disabled...)

27 comments:

  1. Thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey i'm also hearing some stange sounds.. how to disable it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to check and make sure that you don't have a mic input that is turned on and recording. Any line-in could produce feedback if its turned on. Other than that, I can't think of anything that could cause strange sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. It worked. I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:41 PM

    Thanks man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:09 PM

    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:44 AM

    You just saved me! Thankyou very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:55 AM

    Thank you very much! So simple solution, but as you said - it is comletely unusual for Windows OS. You saved me a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:36 AM

    Thanks you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Great, You saved me lot of time and hassle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Thanks, solved my problem. I had been looking in forums and all over for a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous11:02 AM

    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6:07 AM

    Had the same issue and couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Many thanks for the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saved the day for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:58 AM

    thank u.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous3:51 AM

    BIG THANKS! Almost had to reinstall Windows -.-

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:29 PM

    Thank you so much! Almost had to re-install Windows too haha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Worked great, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:07 AM

    cool info. Much appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. just saved my ass during a meeting. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helped! Especially in a meeting.

      Delete
  21. Thank you very much for this article. Really helpful for me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paul Fox to the rescue! Thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Thanks Buddy! I hear the sounds only when I have earphones on.

    ReplyDelete